# 6 ESL Cyber Listening Lab

fancy (v.)

1. fancy somebodyto be sexually attracted to somebody
  •  I think she fancies me.

2. fancy yourself: to think that you are very popular, attractive or intelligent
  • He started to chat to me and I could tell that he really fancied himself.

trim (v.)

1. trim something: to make something neater, smaller, better, etc., by cutting parts from it
  • to trim your hair
  • to trim a hedge (back)
  • The training budget had been trimmed by £10 000.
  • a neatly-trimmed beard

2. trim something (off something) | trim something (off/away): to cut away unnecessary parts from something
  • Trim any excess fat off the meat.
  • I trimmed two centimeters off the hem of the skirt.

shave (v.)

1. to cut hair from the skin, especially the face, using a razor

  • Mike cut himself shaving.
  • shave somebody/something/yourself  The nurse washed and shaved him.
  • a shaved head
  • He has completely shaved his head.
  • I cut myself when I was shaving.

2. shave something to cut a small amount off a price, etc.
  • The firm had shaved profit margins.

in hands

1. in good hands
  • Jefferson believed the nation was in good hands.
2. in the hands
  • It's now in the hands of the Library of Congress here in Washington.

for a living

  • One New York was made up of people who worked for a living.
for people living
  • The crisis created hunger problems for people living in cities throughout Indonesia.










Comments

Popular posts from this blog